Tami Nickel, CPA, CIA
With over 20 years of diverse business experience in accounting and financial environments, I have been involved in all facets of accounting functions, including financial reporting, month-end close, government fund accounting management and reporting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, fixed assets reporting, and budgeting and forecasting processes. In addition, I have consulted with clients assisting in Sarbanes-Oxley compliance. My experience spans a variety of industries ranging from non-profit organizations, to mining, healthcare, banking, cable, airline, publishing, technology, waste management, electric utility, construction and real estate development. While bringing a solid knowledge base and a strong sense of ownership to each engagement, I am a highly motivated professional who thrives on working independently on challenging assignments requiring development of new processes, procedures, and control implementation. I communicate effectively with financial and non-financial individuals to achieve goals.
Key Career Accomplishments
- – Advised clients regarding choice of business entity for most advantageous tax outcome.
- – Completed 990 tax returns for 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations.
- – Consulted with non-profit organizations regarding government fund accounting management and reporting, GAAP and GASB compliance, payroll reporting and compliance, and ensured books were accurate, complete, and properly closed at year-end, prior to annual audit. Assisted auditors by communicating with and responding to their requests, enabling them to complete audit and publish financial statements timely.
- – Developed annual budget models for presentation to senior management.
- – Prepared quarterly Sales tax returns for business clients.
- – Assisted clients with Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, including training, documentation, testing and remediation plans.
- – Worked as Interim Controller at a bank, setting up new accounting processes and procedures, including consolidation and financial reporting of newly acquired sister bank.
- – Analyzed and prepared monthly variance/forecast reports for top-level management for a product producing $85 million in annual revenues.
- – Worked closely with product management group implementing cost reduction initiatives, tracking volumes, evaluating financial performance, and providing analytical support for all product-related initiatives.
- – Developed regional P&Ls to identify potential problem areas and opportunities for increased profitability of products.
- – Prepared financial models, pro-forma and sensitivity analysis for new business development.
- – Re-designed invoice tracking database and also automated purchase card reconciliation/review process.
- – Managed daily accounting and finance operations for a coal fired steam electric plant, including accounts payable, payroll, budgeting and forecasting functions, reconciliation of Balance Sheet and Fixed Asset accounts.
- Tami Nickel, CPA, LLC: Business Owner; Park City, UT
- Harman International Industries: Controller – Signal Processing; Sandy, UT
- Jefferson Wells: Engagement Manager – Finance Operations; Salt Lake City, UT
- Protiviti: Consultant; Salt Lake City, UT
- American Airlines – Publishing Dept: Interim Controller/Senior Financial Analyst; Fort Worth, TX
- Sabre, Inc.: Senior Financial Analyst; Fort Worth, TX
- Waste Management, Inc.: Accountant; Dallas TX
- PacifiCorp: Accountant; Portland, OR, Plant Controller; Centralia, WA, Property Accountant; SLC, UT
Education, Certification, Memberships
- Master of Professional Accountancy (MPA); Weber State University
- Bachelor of Science-Accounting; University of Utah
- Licensed Certified Public Accountant (CPA); Utah, Texas
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Member of AICPA, UACPA, and IIA